East Circular QuayLocality
East Circular Quayby Paul Ashton
Quickly seen as the governor's side of Sydney Cove, the area that is now East Circular Quay, the first house built on the point belonged to Bennelong. When the semi-circular quay was constructed from 1837, the eastern side of the bay was used as a quarry. From the 1860s, wool stores and warehouses were built that dominated the landscape until after World War II, when taller buildings were allowed.